Jane’s Keeping In Touch No. 58
KIT 58! not just 8 – decided to go back to the old numbering – reminds us how long we’ve been in lockdown!
And to all facebook folk – I welcome your news and information for folk who read KIT but don’t do facebook
CLAP THE HEROES tonight, Thursday, at 8pm – the 8th week.
For Ongoing notices , including takeaway meals, please go to the end of this email
Friday 26 February – Braised steak in a rich onion gravy served with fresh vegetables and potatoes – £9
Sunday 28 February – Roast leg of Lamb and mint sauce OR Roast Turkey breast and cranberry sauce, both served with fresh vegetables and potatoes – £9 each + Sunday desserts – Homemade Bakewell tart OR Lemon meringue roulade OR Chocolate profiteroles, all served with fresh cream – £4 each
And looking ahead….
Mothers’ Day on Sunday 14 March – delivery of an afternoon tea after 4pm for £12 per person, including a selection of sandwiches, scones jam clotted cream, and homemade cakes and quiche. Pictures are available on our facebook page.
TO ORDER any of the above, please contact, as soon as possible, Carol-Anne and Nigel on 07866 670472
FISH & CHIPS & MORE…..
every Thursday evening, with free delivery. Menu attached – text or leave a voicemail asap for Vicky at food genie on 07737326183
We were saddened by the news that Richard Murray-Peters died last Saturday. Richard has been a friend to many across the Five Alive Parish and beyond. He has given a huge contribution to many and varied aspects of church and village life and has supported Nancy through her journey to ordination and priestly ministry. May Richard rest in God’s peace and rise in glory.
The service at The Vale for Helen Fowler on Wednesday last, is available to view for 28 days after 3 days from the service. You will need these details https://www.obitus.com/ Username: Fiwu6319 Password: 319927. Donations in memory of Helen are invited for the work of Versus Arthritis, Dementia UK and Charlton Church. Cheques payable to “E Hill & Son Ltd” can be sent to E. Hill & Son Funeral Directors, Pershore. WR10 1HZ or phone E Hill & Son – 01386 552141 – to donate by card.
Praying Together on a Sunday (at home) at 5’ Service each week – available to download from the Parish website* from Saturday. We also hold this service online on Zoom – please ask Sarah for the Zoom link – email@example.com; We begin to gather from 4.45pm, ready to start the service at 5.00pm.
St John the Baptist’ Church, Fladbury will be open on Sunday’s from 10.00am to 4.00pm for individual private prayer . We hope in a visit, you’ll find comfort. A church is open every day for individual private prayer – the Five Alive Parish website has details. Public worship within the Five Alive Parish is currently suspended – a review for when it may resume, will be undertaken during March.
Paint a Pebble for Lent, – take your pebble to your local Church path or leave it somewhere in the Village for all to enjoy – for more information, please see the attached poster – Sue Hiscocks, 860890
Sarah, Parish Wardens and Wardens
(*for the Five Alive Parish website – click on a church – Services and Events – Praying Together in your own Home – View attachment).
The CHURCH WOODLAND
Kathleen Bentley emailed to say how much she enjoyed walking in the Woodland – a place of peace and beauty! – and appreciates so much all the work that has been done there – thanks to Lisa Foster Morison and her team, enhancing the beauty of the snowdrops, which have been in bloom for quite a time – but not for much longer. For those who don’t know, the entrance to the Woodland is through a narrow gap in the hedge on the east side of the churchyard.
New Easter cards for sale – if anyone would like to buy some, please contact me, Jane, by email or ring 860531. They are on view in my porch. I am sure we can arrange delivery or takeaway!
REST IN PEACE
The family of Alan and Sheila Newbury of Broadway Close want you to know that Alan passed away on 14 February. We send love and best wishes to his wife Sheila and his family and friends.
Congratulations to Ruth Jones of Sandys Close who has become a grandma – to Daniel Andrew Groom , born on 23 January at home in Bedford, son of Emily (née Jones) and Andrew. He’s a big fan of jazz…apparently!
FLADBURY PARISH COUNCIL
Footway, Station Road
After considerable discussion, work on reinstating the section of the footway immediately to the north of the railway bridge will take place between March 11th and 15th. This section is often wet and muddy and is uneven. Originally, WCC wanted to improve the footway all the way from the bridge to the A44 which the Parish Council did not believe was necessary.
Railway Bridge over the Avon
Following a meeting with Network Rail, the nature of the project to improve the bridge has been set out. This will be a major project beginning in April and running through until June. It will involve a complete closure of the railway over the late May Bank Holiday when the centre section of the bridge is replaced. The contractors will be laying a haul road to the bridge from Charlton with access most likely to be through Sidings Lane and/or Whitehouse Farm. This will involve up to 200 hgv movements and this will double if the haul road is also removed at the end of the project. The concerns of the Parish Councils involve the impact of this traffic, its routing through the villages and the management of the haulage contractors involved.
Access will be difficult in Charlton and the large number of vehicles is a concern. We await assurances and more details from Network Rail but we have agreed with them points of contact and will have regular Zoom meetings to monitor the activities and keep on top of any issues.
Apart from the potential for hgv traffic through Fladbury, the contractors will require access by foot across the Recreation Ground for some minor work on the Fladbury side of the bridge. However, the vast majority of the envisaged activities will be accessed from the Cropthorne side of the bridge.
Ian Southcott – Chair, tel: 861061, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lynne Yapp – Clerk, tel: 01386 550687, email: email@example.com
Referring to Litter Picking, mentioned last week, a relative newcomer to Fladbury, Kat Powles of Woodward Parks, email firstname.lastname@example.org, had already applied to Wychavon to be a local litter picker and has recently received
- Litter pick stick
- Hoop ring (to hold the bag open)
- Heavy duty gloves
- Roll of bags
- High visibility vest
She volunteered to do Woodward Parks! But she and her two young children, Griff and Constance, have already done a little more – Kat is trying to find suitable equipment for children to use.
Please contact Kat if you would like to know more – email or tel: 861380 – and perhaps volunteer to pick up litter in another street – sadly there will be a greater need as the weather improves – but we want the weather to improve!
SOME DATES TO NOTE…..
- Monday 8 March – Back to School!
- Sunday 14 March – Mothering Sunday
- Friday 19 March – Red Nose Day
- Census Day – Sunday 21 March – for more information visit www.census gov.uk
- Sunday 28 March – clocks Spring forward 1 hour for summertime!
- Monday 29 March – outdoor ‘Rule of Six’ gatherings allowed – hopefully
- Wednesday 31 March – Fladbury no-Walkabout Meeting on Zoom
- Sunday 4 April – Easter Day
- Monday 12 Aprill – keep on hoping…..
See the attached email from Vanessa with photos of fantastic RED NOSE masks! If you have difficulties or want to know more, please ring Vanessa on 01386 860576
TO ENJOY OR GIVE AWAY…..
New Ocean blue Signature Boxes . . . .
My new Signature boxes have been hand-picked with luxurious professional products. Perfect for you to enjoy or to be able to gift to a loved one.
I have selected four boxes just for you – The Nail, Facial, Body & Bathe and the Ultimate – for your indulgence.
Mother’s Day is just around the corner and wouldn’t this be an absolutely fantastic opportunity to give the gift of an Ocean blue Signature Box?! Also available for Birthdays, Special Occasions, Get Well Soon and, don’t forget, I can personalise for your every requirement.
Available by going to www.oceanbluebeautytherapy.co.uk or ring me, Katie, on 07977181001
- George Ellis phoned to say you can get squirrel traps on line. He entices them in with peanuts and raspberries, then disposes of the squirrels as humanely as possible
- Bill North emailed to say his garden helper Matt Brain also does vermin control. He has traps for dealing with squirrels. His phone is number is 07817279235
- Mike Dunning emailed some websites. I am not happy about advertising traps and rifles in KIT but Mike will give you some information if you email email@example.com or phone 07815 512773
And don’t forget…..
If you need some help or information or just a chat, our Signpost people will oblige…..
Louise Bugg, Friends of Fladbury – 07968 252847, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Revd Sarah Dangerfield – 861669, email: email@example.com ;
Ian Southcott, Chair of the Parish Council – 861061, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or I’ll try and put you in the right direction,
Love Jane X
KIT creator, tel: 860531, email: email@example.com
- Donations from Charlton – Jane Way’s initiative to collect donations from Charlton residents last Christmas was a great success. However, a food bank is not just for Christmas and with the impact of Covid, the need for help is greater than ever. So, together we would now like to set up arrangements for donations from Charlton to continue. Charlton Church porch is open each day from 10.00am to 4.00 pm with a box to receive donations. Please give generously all non-perishable food items eg cereals, tinned foods and soups, tea/coffee, sugar, biscuits, pasta, rice, UHT milk, instant mash, together with basic toiletries. On entering the porch, please do ensure you adhere to Government Covid guidelines and general safety.
If everyone were to regularly donate at least one item it would be a great help. Thank you for your generosity – Julian Hawley 860420
- Fladbury Church Porch – donations are welcome and are collected frequently for delivery to the foodbank – Carol Rosier 55441
THINGS TO DO
- Another word puzzle – sent in my John Prichard – see how many words you can create from – H EOEUSPTS – Rules – the first letter has to be used in each word, minimum of 3 letters per word, each letter can only be used only once in a word, no plurals allowed. Target (in 3 minutes) – Fair 14, Good 20, Very Good 28, Excellent 36. Has anyone ever achieved excellence? These puzzles are available from wordwheels.co.uk
- Any more suggestions for brain exercise?
- Jigsaw puzzles are in the porch at no 10 Butt Furlong. Please feel free to help yourselves
I’m trying to gauge how much interest there would be for a chair Yoga, Zoom Yoga session – initially at this stage, a one-off session with a view to more, depending on interest. There is so much you can still do from a chair which can be extremely beneficial to someone who has reduced mobility. At a time when it’s even more difficult to get out and exercise it will be useful but also an opportunity for those who perhaps aren’t able to see others at the mo, a friendly group to join while having a nice stretch. Please do contact me if you are interested
Carly Wickens of Broadway Lane – phone 07876193655 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Pershore High School are still receiving requests from families who need devices – LAPTOPS, etc – so that children can access online learning from home so if you have any old devices that you feed could donate for this use, please contact Lou on 07968 252847 or email email@example.com
Things I might put in the green or black bins or the tip if nobody wants them…..
- Glasses – some half-pint, some wine
- Several wildlife magazines featuring some brilliant photographs and articles
- Jam jars
All free for take-away or delivery can be arranged! Email me, Jane, or ring me on 860531
- Chestnut Tree Inn, Lower Moor – better now and back every Friday and Saturday 4pm till 8 pm – Fish & chips, Scampi & chips, Southern fried chicken & chips, Warm duck salad, Burger & fries – and a new one on the list – Sausage, egg, chips & beans – all £8.95 each meal. To order and book a time slot, phone 860380
- Gardener’s Arms, Charlton – 861146 – open for collection 4.30pm-7.30pm on Fridays and Saturdays, telephone from 2pm to order. Also Sunday lunch
- The Bell at Cropthorne – 861860 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Order by 2pm for collection between 6pm and 8pm on Friday and Saturday nights. Also weekend specials and Sunday roasts
- Kaur’s Spice Kitchen from Throckmorton Parish Hall between 5.30pm and 6.30pm on Fridays – orders must be placed by midnight on Thursday – phone 07545 392632
- Queen Elizabeth at Elmley Castle – extensive menu on Friday and Saturday evenings and Sunday lunchtime – phone 01386 710251
IT’S GOOD TO TALK!
Pershore Volunteer Centre run a weekly telephone chat scheme and are needing more telephone befriending volunteers. If you would like to find out more, please call the office on (01386) 554299
SUNFLOWERS in windows – drawings, paintings, craft ones – for all carers
Begin forwarded message:
From: Vanessa Tofield <email@example.com>
Date: 23 February 2021 at 13:09:26 GMT
To: Jane Bugg <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Red Nose Day
Hello Fladbury Folk,
19th MARCH, 2021 IS RED NOSE DAY – This is an initiative by Comic Relief who support numerous worthy causes worldwide. I have created a selection of face masks with sewn-on red pompoms and Red Nose Day 2021 labels so that you can show your support and contribute to this worthy cause. A bit of fun to make us all laugh!
The masks are fully functional 3 x layer face coverings that can be used after the event in the usual way, it’s up to you if you keep the pompom or cut it off!
Available in Medium and Large. The masks are £6 each including a £2 contribution to Red Nose Day. Please feel free to add a few extra coins at your discretion. All charitable contributions will be passed onto Comic Relief and I will let you know how much we collect.
6 Nations Rugby Masks – I have stocks of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland masks in all sizes at £5 each too.
Order your mask today and I will put them out for collection on my doorstep at 30 The Chantry when you tell me you are ready to collect it. Stock items will be displayed on my doorstep on Saturday and Sunday until the event (weather permitting). Contact me by pm, email@example.com, or 860576 ‘.